The school was started in June 2003 with 45 special children with various mental disabilities - like Autism, Down's syndrome, Mental Retardation, Learning difficulties and multiple disabilities. Unlike other schools for special children, SATYA believes in catering to the individual needs of the child. Each child is assessed according to its individual and psychological capabilities and training is provided based on their needs. The children are grouped as Vocational, academic and care & management group. Regular assessments are done to evaluate the progress made by each child and accordingly their training is imparted. The school has specialized trained staff who understand and teach these special children.
HOW & WHY THE SCHOOL WAS STARTED:
Being a centrally located health clinic (CLINIC NALLAM), a number of mentally disabled children used to visit the specialist psychiatrist attached to the health clinic. The alarming numbers of such patients triggered off an idea among the doctors to start a school for children with special needs. Though the city already has 3 such schools, due to financial constraints the schools do not admit children from poor families. Keeping in mind, the needs of the lower sections of society and the social stigmas attached to having such children at home, a few liked minded individuals, professionally qualified Doctors, Social workers, Specail educators started the Satya Special School (SSS).
Objectives of the School :
- Provide educational and vocational training to mentally challenged children.
- Individualized training based on periodic psychological assessments.
- Emphasis is on providing specialties training so that the children can become part of the main stream of society.
- Provide specialized care & training for children with learning difficulties which could help them attend normal schools.
- Provide professional guidance and parental counseling to help rehabilitate the mentally challenged.
- Assist parents in understanding their children at their homes through parent discussions and counseling.